Do you love food? I know I do. I have been cooking since I was a kid and today I am going to discuss how to make Firecracker Casserole and Doritos Taco Salad. I actually learned how to cook the casserole when I worked for the Ada Youth Shelter as a Youth Care Worker. One of the lady’s I worked with made this meal one day for the kids and I instantly fell in love with the dish. Even better, though, is the meal does not cost a lot to make. Below are the recipes:
Ingredients for Firecracker Casserole
2 pounds of ground beef or ground turkey meat
2 cans (15 ounces) of ranch style beans
1 to 2 teaspoons of chili power, garlic salt and any other seasonings you like
1 can (10 ounces) of diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can (10.5 ounces) of cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10.5 ounces) of cream of chicken soup
4 to 6 flour tortillas
1 (16 ounces) bag of shredded cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef until the meat is no longer pink. You may wish to drain the grease at this point. Add the beans, chili power, garlic salt and any other seasonings you like. From time to time I chop up an onion (red) and cook it with the meat.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Mix the diced tomatoes/green chilies, cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup together in a separate bowl and place it on top of the meat in the baking dish. Break up the tortillas and cover over the food. Put the entire bag of cheese on top of the tortillas. I personally like to sprinkle a little roasted garlic and herb seasoning on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Ingredients for Doritos Taco Salad
1 bag (24 ounces) of lettuce – Preferably the Marketside Classic Iceberg Salad, but you can use what you like.
3 roma tomatos, chopped
2 cups of nacho cheese Doritos or more
1 can (15 ounces) ranch style beans
1 pound ground beef (optional) seasoned with 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, chili powder
1 bag (16 ounces) of shredded cheese
1/2 bottle of Italian dressing
- Brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Drain the grease. Add seasoning (your choice) but I like chili powder and garlic salt. Once the meat is done, let it cool slightly.
- In a large salad bowl add lettuce, ranch style beans, tomato, Italian dressing and cheese. Add slightly cooled ground beef and gently toss to combine everything.
- Let salad chill in refrigerator until ready to eat.
The price of this meal depends on where you purchase the items from and what brand you buy. I shop at Walmart most of the time. Normally, if I am careful I can make this meal for about $25 to $30 dollars, but it last us for about three days. Not super cheap, but affordable. What do you like making that is affordable?